The next step of this project was to make the blank. This part of the project was not as straightforward as one would have imagined. The idea was simple: “glue the two pieces of foam together with the stringer in the middle”. However, there were a few challenges:

  1. There was a hole in the middle of the foam, where the old “stringer” used to live.
  2. I planned to introduce a flatter rocker than the original soft-top surfboard.
  3. I didn’t have any glue.
  4. I did not have any suitable clamps.

I went out and purchased some polyurethane glue. This glue is suitable for gluing a range of materials and surfaces, and it wasn’t going to melt or damage the polystyrene foam. It also has a slight foaming action allowing it to expand and fill small cracks. This solved my glue problem, but the foaming action was not going to be enough to fill the holes in the foam left by the hardwood “stringer”.

Filling the holes

I found a piece of packing polystyrene and cut out small rectangular boxes to be inserted where the hole was. I then used the polyurethane glue to glue the pieces in. Surprisingly, I used almost 250mL of glue just to fill the holes!20160526_193926

Clamping

Once the holes were filled, the glue had dried, and I had sanded the surface flat, I had to come up with a way to clamp the two halves together. I needed to hold the board together to allow the polyurethane glue to dry well, and needed a way to press and hold the foam to the rocker of the stringer. I tested out using flat pieces of wood to press the foam to the stringer. This is what the test run looked like:20160526_182050

It worked! But it needed some improvements. It definitely needed more pressure between the top and bottom to flatten the rocker of the foam to the rocker of the stringer. I added more wood and tightened the straps to add more force in that axis. I also added cardboard between the straps and the foam to distribute the pressure and protect the rails from a point load.

The mess

I spread the polyurethane glue on the stringer with a comb and put it on one of the foam halves. It was messy! Glue was dripping everywhere! I spread the glue on the other side of the stringer and tried to place the other half of foam where it belonged. It quickly escalated into a gluey mess, as the rocker was different and the glue quite liquid.

I had prepared for clamping by placing the straps on the table, with pieces of wood along the length of the table so that I could place the foam on the table after gluing and strap everything together. The only issue was that the whole mess kept falling apart. After much gluing of my hands, clothes, and other random objects, I finally managed to hold the to-be blank in place temporarily. Quickly, I clamped the front and back with standard clamps and some leftover plywood. I loosened the straps to place the wood in between the straps and the foam. BIG MISTAKE. The mess came apart again!

Unfortunately, that meant that I didn’t take any photos during that stage…probably for the best. Eventually, the blank ended up looking like the picture below with the cardboard pieces to protect the rails, and extra pieces of wood to add more pressure top and bottom. FIRST TRY!

20160527_154611(Note: this type of glue expands more if there is a bit of moisture, so I sprayed some mist at the glue to help it fill any gaps better)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s