After making the blank it was time for the surfboard to take shape.

But first, the blank still had a bunch of polyurethane residue stuck to it, from ripping off the exterior foam. This polyurethane would get in the way of shaping, so I set out to clean it off first. For this I used a sanding block with 60 grit sandpaper to sand off any residue. After a bunch of not-too-careful sanding the blank looked a beautiful white again.

Since I was going to shape the board into a swallow tail (as designed), I cut the tail of the blank off with a saw. I started to shape the rails a bit and tried to flatten the deck to the height of the stringer.

20160528_193421

As you can see, the clean blank is not perfectly even, but I’ll work on that when I start shaping it. There were also still holes in the tail from the old fin system but I’ll fill these with polystyrene and polyurethane glue later.

I also shaped some fins, but I’m not sure if I will end up using them.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s